Building Bridges through Books
To exchange ideas and foster discussions, promote reading for knowledge and enjoyment while simultaneously building community inside and outside the prison walls.
We envision building more committed and connected relationships through shared reading and discussion of books in efforts to support the movement of prison abolition.
- Give everyone a voice through the distribution of discussion questions and answers both inside and outside the prison walls, as well as leadership being equally comprised of incarcerated people and those outside the walls.
- Inspire meaningful conversations, critical thinking, imagination and empathy in all members.
- Provide a supportive, safe and respectful environment for exchanging ideas and stimulating dialogue with a focus on the ‘isms’ that attempt to divide us all (such as racism, sexism, classism, etc).
- Offer a selection of high-quality, thought-provoking, diverse literature.
- Encourage intellectual development and mutual education given the lack of rehabilitation and programming available by the CDCr.